Who We Are
Viator lived during the fourth century in the area of Lyon, France and served as an aide to Bishop Just. He worked as a catechist helping young people develop their religious beliefs. By public acclamation, both Viator and Bishop Just were declared saints.
In 1831, Father Louis Querbes of Lyon established a religious community of young men to assist the clergy in their parish work, especially in the teaching of catechism to young men. They served as volunteers for whatever work had to be done. This association of young men grew into a religious community. When Father Querbes looked for a model for his group, he remembered Viator, the Saint from his home city who carried out similar work centuries before.
His group became known as the Clerics of St. Viator. 'Viator' means “traveler,” which lends itself to the perception of being part of the journey of lifelong learning and spiritual development. For more than 160 years, Viatorians have traveled the way, proclaiming the Gospel as educators and ministering to a variety of needs. Today, that congregation includes around 800 priests, brothers, and lay associates who continue to serve as a community dedicated to education and spreading the mission initiated by their founder, Father Louis Querbes.
The Viatorians' influence is felt throughout the world in Belize, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Haiti, Honduras, the Ivory Coast, Japan, Peru, Spain, Taiwan, and the United States. The central office of the congregation is in Rome. The headquarters for all Viatorians working in the United States is in Arlington Heights at the Province Center located on the property adjacent to Saint Viator High School.